Thursday, February 18, 2010

How difficult is it to paint over the white prickly textured paint stuff?

Will I have to sand down the prickly stuff before I paint? if so, how much $$ and how time consuming?How difficult is it to paint over the white prickly textured paint stuff?
I've painted over all kinds of textured surfaces with no problem if you have the proper brush or roller. It really depends on whether you want to leave the surface ';prickly'; or whether you want to knock it down to have a flat surface. If you want to knock it down, you can sand it and fill it with spackle or drywall compound to get a smooth finish. If you want to paint over the texture, I would prime first with something like Zinser and then paint using a very nappy roller. They will show you the right one to use at the home improvement store. Knocking it down is definitely more work and elbow grease than merely painting over the texture. But, to have the best coverage, it will take several coats of latex and use a high quality, thick paint for the best coverage.How difficult is it to paint over the white prickly textured paint stuff?
you need to get a roller brush with special knapp on, it. it is longer,thicker fibers to help.
I was told that you have to make sure you only paint in one direction. If you keep going back and forth over it I gues than it will fall off.
I have been told that I don't need to sand my celling but It would have to be panted with an oil base paint first that if you paint it with latex it would fall off. After that I can paint with latex. I think I will now wait for spring when I can open the windows
You just need to get a roller for rough surfaces instead of smooth surfaces so it will coat the whole thing. It's really easy. Have fun.
If you don't do it yourself , it's easy !!
No. You don't have to sand it down. But yes, you do have to put an oil-based primer first. And you don't have to worry about not being able to open the windows because it's winter. Nowadays, you can get oil based primer that hardly smells and is dry to paint over in 1-2 hours.





Don't worry about what direction you paint in. It doesn't matter. But make sure you get the right roller. Ask for a roller for deeply textures surfaces like stucco. That's the only way you'll get the paint to go everywhere.





And you don't have to paint it white.... you can paint it any color you like.... It's not very time consuming and it is relatively easy to do.
Its not difficult at all. Just make sure that you get a roller that has longer fibers to cover all the prickly textured stuff. It will cover great, I have done it. If you don't want the textured stuff anymore and want flat, smooth walls, then you have a real job. You will have to sand everything and make sure there are no high spots or gouges, etc. and it is very time consuming, depending on the size room you are talking about. I would just paint the textured walls. Much cheaper and easier

No comments:

Post a Comment