Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Remove textured paint from bathroom wall?

I have a textured paint on my bathroom wall. It is chipping off with a smooth wall beneath. What is the best way to remove it? Or if I try to patch over it, will the rest of the paint stay on the wall. I would like to work on this one myself if possible.





Thank You


JanetRemove textured paint from bathroom wall?
Textured walls are just like textured ceilings. A layman's term is called popcorn ceiling. There is a tool you can use to remove textured ceilings: Go to Low3's or any hardware store and tell them you want the tool for removing textured paint. the tool has a long handle like a broom. The end is made from metal and it's shaped like a rectangle. You use a spray bottle filled with water and spray the textured paint. Then you scrape the tool over the textured area and it removes the popcorn paint. There's an attachment used for ceilings that allows you to catch the paint in a bag that attached to the tool. You can probably use that to scrape walls as well.


Anyway, the tool makes the job go very quickly - probably 20 minutes to complete an area 20 X 20 feet.


If you wish to retain the textured wall, I'd use a scrub brush and go over the area nearest the part that chipped off. Scrape away all the paint that surrounds the area. There is also a paint sold at most hardware stores that can be sprayed over areas that have worn down. You can match the area very easily with one of several commercial cans of ';popcorn'; paint available. It's pretty easy to use.





good luckRemove textured paint from bathroom wall?
I don't like opening a can of worms, but maybe the paint is chipping because of moisture in the bathroom - I'm wondering if you should perhaps be concerned about the possibility of mold or mildew.


As for doing the job yourself, there are lots of great books you can buy on doing specific jobs like this in your home. They are usually sold at places like Lowe's or Home Depot as well as any big book store. If you have a friend who is handy and does these things in his/her own home, ask questions before you start and as you go along.


I did a little painting in my home, but not seeing your bathroom wall puts me at a disadvantage. Also, being an unprofessional ';do it myself'; sort of person, I won't pretend I know how you should proceed with your task.


I do applaud you for being couragious enough to take it on!


Good luck - I'll bet when you finish, it will be beautiful!
Buy some of that spray texture stuff in a can from Home depot.

No comments:

Post a Comment