Thursday, February 25, 2010

Can i add sand to smooth masonry paint to create textured paint and use this to help cover small cracks. thx?

I tried added sand to concrete stain as a way to make the surface less slippery. The sand didn't really adhere to the stain or the surface coat applied over the stain.





However, my sister's father-in-law said crushed walnut shells work, claiming the shells were more absorbent than sand. I've never had the opportunity to test his theories.





When it's all said and done, in most cases speciality products such as textured paints and stains would be your best bet. No need to experiment with ideas or concepts which may not work.Can i add sand to smooth masonry paint to create textured paint and use this to help cover small cracks. thx?
Thanks I had a go %26amp; added a little sand. I used fine kilm dried sand I played around with the amount i painted the back wall it covered the hairline cracks much better than smooth paint I'm going to give it another coat then leave it a month if ok and no cracks I will paint the house steve

Report Abuse


Can i add sand to smooth masonry paint to create textured paint and use this to help cover small cracks. thx?
I would advise against it as it will crack again in no time.. The best thing to do is fill the cracks first with a cement based filler.. Rake out the cracks ( make them wider ) brush the cracks with diluted PVA adhesive then fill and paint..





Good luck !





18 years as a Decorator..
No not really a good idea as the sand tends to settle out in the bottom of the pain tin unless you keep it well stirred


there are proprietary brands of filler paints on the market like polytex take a look at your local DIY store
I would fill the cracks with liquid nail, cut the end very small so it will fill the crack. Then paint after that dries
No, buy textured paint, Artex do one, plenty on the market, go to a builders merchants, not a DIY store.
yes u can i have used this myself shops sell textured paint for the same reasons which is exactly the same
Yes but it would be easier to buy sand effect paint. I had to when i painted my kitchen, the only problem is, it tends to crack.
yes you can add sand to a paint
why not fill the cracks first
I have never heard of that, it doesn't sound like it will work.

No comments:

Post a Comment