Thursday, February 25, 2010

Help with painting over ';paint splash'; texture on walls!?

I am working on painting a bedroom at a house we recently bought. The current room is white with red and blue ';paint splashes'; on the wall. Looks like someone just took a paint brush, dipped it in paint and splashed the paint all over the walls. I DO NOT want this look on the walls. This is going to be my daughters bedroom and she wants the walls to be a dark pink. I primed the walls with a high hide tinted primer (tinted the same color that she wants the room painted), have painted 1 coat so far). Just like I figured would happen, you can see the paint splash marks because they are pretty thick splashes. I've tried sanding the splashes in a small area and they are still visible!!! What are my options at this point? Can I texture the walls so way to camoflauge the paint splash marks? I've seen some walls that are textured, but I'm not familiar with how to do this. Please help!! Thanks in advance!Help with painting over ';paint splash'; texture on walls!?
It would be quickest easiest and prab;y cheapest to paper the walls with lining paper or anaglypta and then paint it the colour you want.Help with painting over ';paint splash'; texture on walls!?
I've textured rough looking walls. It's easy, but a little time consuming. Just buy a 5 gallon bucket of All Purpose Joint Compound and start spreading it on the wall with a spade. You can get a spade that is smooth on one side and grooved on the other. While spreading just alternate the flat side with the grooved side to get the desired look you want. It will perfectly camoflage the paint spatters and it gives a nice look to the room. Don't be scared, just jump in and do it. It's really easy once you get started. Be sure and cover your floors and remove trim first. If you don't want to do this, you might purchase or rent a steam scrapper that MIGHT loosen the paint enought to scrape it off, but if it was me; I'd go with the texture. It looks better and will be easier in the long run. Good luck!
There is a textured paint available that rolls on. I used it a few years back to paint over concrete block. It turned out very nice. Check with your local paint supply store about it. Also, the coarseness of the texture depends on the type of roller that you use. Best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment