Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Painting ceiling with textured behr paint?

I am in the process of painting my ceiling(plaster over lathe) with behr brand interior sand finished texture paint. IT is SO thick. CAN I mix normal paint w/ the behr texture paint to make it easier to apply? Areas that we have painted(about 1/2 of the ceiling) are different thicknesses and look uneven. We painted last night. How can I ';knock off'; the thicker areas and smooth it up a bit? We used the large loop roller to applyPainting ceiling with textured behr paint?
Using any sand texture paint with a roller is next to impossible. I am a painter and have been for 35 years. I will never apply any sand texture with a roller.


Thinning will make the paint more slippery while applying against untextured areas but when you paint an area where you have texture applied it will grip and leave more texture. two options. 1 apply texture so thick that it will not accept any more.several coats until build up has occurred. 2 scrape all texture off and apply with a trowelPainting ceiling with textured behr paint?
I paint every day of my life and agree with answer 1, though I'm not at all a fan of texturing anywhere. I probably would have dry walled the ceiling then painted.





PAINT, in any formulation is specific to an intent. No offense but what you suggest is like taking a gallon of latex, adding a half gallon of water, just to end up with 1.5 gallons. You could be sadly disappointed.





Secondly, you can test this btw. Paint a piece of scrap, even with reg. latex. use some scraps of paper to block an area. pull the paper, allow drying, then roll over the entire test again. What your doing essentially is obviously covering the bare patches, but you're also building up the thickness of paint on the painted areas. A similar effect will be noted on sand paint, even if you could feather an edge that seems to have more buildup, the likelyhood of a seamless finish is questionable.





Certainly one could trowel sand paint on. I do it often for a faux stucco effect, but EVEN/SMOOTH would not be the outcome.





Steven Wolf


just my two ';sense';
There is no easy solution. Yo have been given good advice in the first 2 answers. You may consider buying 1/4 thick drywall and putting it up over your existing ceiling and then repainting after you mud the seams. I would use painters caulk around the edges rather than try to mud the edges to the wall, but I caution you, caulk does not fill in large gaps you must have a tight fit against the wall. Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment