Thursday, February 25, 2010

House Painting: Textured Walls/Ceiling - need more Paint?

Hi, I am completely new to house-painting and decided rather foolishly to paint my apartment, but it took sooooooooooo much paint I don't know if I did something wrong? The walls and ceiling are ';textured';, not with the textured wallpaper but I think some kind of sand textured paint. Anyway, I started painting and used a whole massive tub of paint just for one wall (it was supposed to do 50msq). I bought 2 more and still only did one quarter of the apartment! Help! It was so difficult to paint because I had to press so hard with the roller to cover all the little bumps!


My question is - was I doing something wrong or is textured paint more difficult and uses more paint??House Painting: Textured Walls/Ceiling - need more Paint?
Texture on walls and ceilings takes a LOT more paint. When I paint a textured surface I use a roller with a 3/4 inch nap. This means the padding(fuzz) on the roller is 3/4 inch thick. It gets into all the little nooks and crannies easier than a thinner roller. Sometimes, with a heavy texture, it's easier to use a brush to work the paint into bigger gaps.


One of the other answers suggested purchasing a paint sprayer for the job. Don't waste the money. You'll have to cover everything in the apartment to protect it from over spray. And the sprayers sold for home owner use like a 'Wagner Power Painter' are useless after the first paint job, and very difficult to clean out.House Painting: Textured Walls/Ceiling - need more Paint?
long nap rollers have thick application surface and hold more paint-- when painting textured surfaces-- will require more paint-- a gallon of paint usually covers 200 to 400 sq. feet-- textured walls will absorb more-- get a paint sprayer and good paint to do the job-- you get what you pay for so good paint actually saves money
the more texture the wall has the more paint you use. but use a long nap roller to apply and it goes on easy
  • african american hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment