Thursday, February 25, 2010

I scraped off the popcorn ceiling in a room. Now how can I get an orange peel texture before painting?

Mix a solution of 50% water and joint compound until smooth. Apply to a small section(just to be sure) of the ceiling with a heavy-nap roller. Before the material gets too dry, knock down the dimples with a drywall knife. This will simulate a very light splatter/knock-down finish. The cost is minimal, and you can vary the texture according to your technique.





An interesting variation of this is to paint the ceiling first with a nice pastel color. The white joint compound makes a nice contrast and creates an interesting effect.





I hope this helps.I scraped off the popcorn ceiling in a room. Now how can I get an orange peel texture before painting?
Apply slightly thined taping mud to the area with a wadded up plastic bag in about a four square foot area, allow to dry out just a little then wipe a broad knife across it randomly in arcs, this is a nice texture method, similar to what the old timers call ';skip trowle'n';. My ex wifes father could produce this texture with one stroke of a 16'; knife, but he has past on, as has the art. Good Luck and Practice I did my whole house using this method and it looks great.I scraped off the popcorn ceiling in a room. Now how can I get an orange peel texture before painting?
You can go to any paint store and purchase a ';Sponge'; to stomp it on with, there are many other types, crows foot and so on. The sponge will attach to a long handled broom that you dip into the texture, then apply to the ceiling.


kjaybaby@yahoo.com
After scraping the paint you will need a undercoat that can be in orange or grey or white in colour paint.This paint actually stick to the ceiling and also absorb the final finish coat of paint. If you do it this manner the paint will not peel of easily

No comments:

Post a Comment