Thursday, February 11, 2010

Can I texture, then paint over wallpaper?

I need to remediate some wallpaper in a house we are flipping.The wallpaper is thin paper, tight on wall, put on in the early 80s. Out of style. I am doing it myself. Should I just get of any wallpaper that will come off, make sure all is tight that remains....and blow texture on...then paint. Will I get a nice result? My fear in removing paper is that it will take forever. I have 3 rooms to do.Can I texture, then paint over wallpaper?
We redid a bathroom %26amp; textured right over the paper.Can I texture, then paint over wallpaper?
Yes- get rid of the wallpaper that comes off readily, then blow or trowel the texture on. You won't be able to tell the difference.





Don't try to go so fast that you're leaving stuff that will come off once the moisture of the texture is applied... you can test it with a spray bottle of water and see if it's going to come off, or use that wall paper remover liquid to ensure that you've gotten enough.





I have had two houses built in the 60s that had wallpaper applied directly to sheetrock and all you could do was just texture over it and it came out great.
as long as the paper is tight and has no bubbles you can,you just need to seal the seams with drywall mud to keep any moisture from getting in them .a small skim coat with do for the seams and if u find a bubble or a spot thats not tight cut it out with a razor knife and skim that too then let it dry and texture away
I bought a scuffer from home depot and scuffed up the wall paper and then textured then painted and it has been on there for about a year and a half with no problems and you can NOT tell theres wall paper under it.
If you take paper off correctly it should be fine, and in the 80's paper was backed with the strippable glue it should not be that difficult Your other choice sounds like it could be an unattractive mess. Do the job right, and your home will bring you much more profit when you flip it. I am both an interior designer, and Realtor.

No comments:

Post a Comment