Sunday, February 21, 2010

What is the best way to remove textured paint from drywall?

It would be easier to add product to fill in the voids than to try to remove the texture. A good drywaller could do this very easily and bring it to a paintable state. good luck.What is the best way to remove textured paint from drywall?
You will have a very hard time removing textured paint. If the texture is in or under the paint you will end up probably damaging the drywall. This is assuming that you are talking about walls and not ceilings. Texture on ceilings can have asbestos in it, if your home is an older house, and should be left alone In my opinion.





It would probably be faster to put a ';skim coat'; of drywall compound over the texture to smooth it out on the walls. Not a fun project, but it is doable as a DIY, or you can hire a drywall contractor. If you want to do it yourself, start in the least visible places and then work towards the more visible ones.What is the best way to remove textured paint from drywall?
I had the same problem; here's what I did.





I scraped off whatever was loose and tried to remove the highest points as best as I could. I used a wall stud finder and marked the location at the top %26amp; bottom. I put up all new drywall right over the old walls. The former owner had also put up cheap wood paneling on the ceiling of one room - I didn't take it down and create a big mess. I just put up the new drywall right over the paneling.
wet it down, allow the water to soak in for 5-10 minutes, keeping the area damp the whole time. then take a wide joint knife and scrape it off...

No comments:

Post a Comment