Sunday, February 21, 2010

Have you ever used texture paint? I'm looking for something that will smooth out my ceilings.?

I scraped off the aucustic and went over them with two layers of drywall mud. I pole sanded it and it looks pretty smooth but I want it perfect and it just isn't. Do you know if that texture paint is any good? What kind of roller would I roll it on with a sponge type or a really fluffy one? Any brands that are better? I was thinking of just going down to the Home Depot and picking up Bear brand. Any help input would be great.Have you ever used texture paint? I'm looking for something that will smooth out my ceilings.?
If you really want a smooth finish(you won't want to hear this) but just keep skimming and sanding the surface with a finish mud. A good 10 or 12 in sheetrock trowel is the best if your wrist can handle it..........it's actually very easy........but just takes patience. A nice drop cord and artificial light is good also........so you can see flaws.....your really don't have to sand hardly at all....and if you do, you just wet sand with a damp sponge......just wipe around an around if you raise or lower a spot , just knock it down of fill it up with a little more mud.......have fun.........it's easy.......just don't get in a big hurry. When your trying to get a flat surface I would say a nice furry 3/8 roller would be the best....buy a good one.......probably 3 bucks. Any good latex paint would be fine....if it's just the ceiling to one bedroom you only need a gallon.Have you ever used texture paint? I'm looking for something that will smooth out my ceilings.?
Texture paint works well, and Behr paint is the best on the market. Look for a roller that states that it is made specifically for textured paint. Why worry that it must be ';perfect';? No one will know that except you. It would be a rare person indeed that came into a room and who's focus was drawn toward the ceiling. You're worrying too much.
We used a Venetian plaster from Lowes, awesome finish, you put in on with a spackle knife. You can use a Mediterranean finish or more flat finish. Covers everything.
Why don't you hang textured wallpaper on the ceiling. It will cover up any imperfections and you can paint it any color you like. I'm not sure what texture type paint you are referring to, but I have used a product that looks like stone when finished. I put it on my walls. I would think that any texture paint would be very difficult to put on a ceiling. Another idea would be to use a technique that drywall installers refer to as ';knockdown';. The drywall mud is stippled onto the ceiling with a large stippling brush connected to a long pole. One person puts on the drywall mud and the other uses an up and down motion to pick the mud. Then before it drys take a flat trowel and lightly ';knockdown'; the spikes created by the up and down motion. I am sure you have seen this on walls and it looks just as good on ceilings and is not hard to do. Practice and if it is not right, scrape it off and try again. Below are a couple examples of knockdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment