Thursday, February 18, 2010

How do you paint on fabric with a thick texture?

I want to paint a T shirt with acrylic paint but I'm afraid it would fade or crack. I want the thick texture created by the acrylic. I don't like fabric paint because leaks. Is there anything I can do to make the acrylic paint more permanents or are there any other paints with just as much texture?How do you paint on fabric with a thick texture?
You can mix the acrylic with textile medium, but it will still crack if thickly applied. Can you ';fake'; texture with shading? Or break up the sections of color so the fabric won't be so stiff?How do you paint on fabric with a thick texture?
I think if I were going to do a project like this, I would begin with a thinner acrylic underpaint using 1/2 medium to 1/2 water. This will set up the ground for applying a thicker paint over the top because it will give something to adhere to and has two advantages. You can correct any things that aren't working with your project prior to putting on the heavier paint, and it will provide a better ground for the acrylic to adhere with a more even texture which will also adhere to the fabric better.

No comments:

Post a Comment